I’m here to talk to you about getting into your local bookstores. Here are some main points that really helped me.
- Have your own ISBN (not the free one).
- Have print copies on hand for them to look at.
- Ask in-person about getting your book in the store.
- Start with local shops.
- Bring business cards.
- Make sure they know your genre.
- Opt-in for events if possible
My In-store presence
Books and Books–
Alright, now that we covered that. Here are the contacts, costs, etc for getting into the bookstore that I used, Books and Books in Coral Gables, FL.
Stocking fee– $50
Split with the bookstore– 50/50
Managers to speak to– Kathy Steele or Jack.
Event coordinator– Cristina Naste
I’ve also gotten into a comic store called Loot Games and Comics. They partnered with Otakufest and I was able to get some copies in there on consignment.
Split with the comic store– 50/50 (if store credit) 40/60 if cash.
Broward County Library–
Q- Where am I in the process?
A- I’m sending my 1st copy in for review this week.
Requirements (Pulled verbatim from the document I received)-
- The author must be a BCL cardholder
- The author must be self-published
- The author must be a Broward County resident
- The book must be a fiction adult, non-fiction adult or children’s book
- The book must be in excellent circulation condition (e.g. sturdy bound, sewn, or glued)
- The author must agree to donate a review copy
The following guidelines apply to title selected for the BCL local author collection:
- The author agrees to donate at least 2 circulating copies
- The author will provide a copy of one authentic positive review (e.g. Amazon, Publishers Weekly review)
- The author agrees to assist in marketing their book while it is a part of the BCL collection